Wilson double earns Waverley win

Share this article

A DOUBLE from defender Craig Wilson helped ease the pressure on relegation-threatened Hawick Waverley on Saturday.

But it was a match the former East of Scotland ace almost never made. Waverley boss Mick Hope said: “There was a doubt over Craig’s fitness as he’d been injured and had to go through a fitness test just before the game.

“He was declared fit though and this worked out well for us as he not only scored two goals, but he also played very well.”

Playing on a hard and crisp pitch due to the early morning frost, the Wilton Lodge Park outfit battled hard and fully deserved the three points.

Hope continued: “Apart from being annoyed at the way we lost an early goal, I was happy with the way we played.

“In the second half, in particular, I thought we really came onto a game and we deserved our win.”

Waverley were first to look like scoring when Grant Ferguson headed a long Mark Deans throw over the bar in the opening exchanges.

Legion came rallying back and in the sixth minute took the lead. Latching onto the ball in midfield, and completely unmarked, Bryan Graham unleashed a shot that sailed past home keeper Michael White.

Waverley replied with a good move that almost produced an equaliser. Scott Craig piercing the Jed defence with a thrusting run down the right before whipping over a low cross that Ferguson drove narrowly over the bar.

After White had pulled off creditable saves from Colin Webb and Jacob Hawthorn in a matter of minutes, Ferguson sent a header over the bar at the other end from another Craig cross.

With two minutes of the half left, Waverley got back on level terms. Back in their ranks after a spell with Selkirk, Wilson ventured up from his defensive role when Waverley were awarded a free-kick. And it proved to be a worthwhile move as the tall defender prodded Ferguson’s floating cross over the line. And they continued in a positive manner after the interval with Taylor Hope having an early opportunity only to fire wide.

Jed keeper David McWilliam then kept out a Simon Philbin effort before Craig blasted wide.

With 64 minutes gone, however, Waverley’s pressure paid off. Kevin McGaughey swinging over a corner and Wilson popping up again to slot the ball past McWilliam.

After Hawthorn had come close to equalising for Legion in a breakaway raid, the woodwork robbed Waverley of a third goal. Latching onto a Jamie Richardson cross, Hope powered in an angled shot that cannoned off the post to McWilliam who caught the rebound.

The goal was merely delayed and seven minutes from time Waverley completed the scoring. A well-flighted McGaughey corner sailed into the box and substitute Jordan Yardley stepped in to crack home an unsavable shot.

HAWICK WAVERLEY: M. White, S. Sharkey, S. Craig, C. Wilson, J. Richardson, K. McGaughey, T. Hope, M. Deans, S. Philbin, B. Shiel and G. Ferguson. Substitutes: J. Yardley, R. McLeod, M. Clark, S. Marshall and A. King.