Waverley win in game that almost never was

Stuart Drysdale, seen here in action against Newtown, has racked up 300 appearances for Waverley
Stuart Drysdale, seen here in action against Newtown, has racked up 300 appearances for Waverley

HAWICK Waverley came out on top in this match despite it initially being postponed.

Selkirk referee David O’Donnell had deemed the pitch unplayable, and despite both teams stripped and ready for action, the game was called off.

However, a neighbouring pitch at Wilton Lodge Park was inspected and proceedings were soon back on, which was good news for Bruce Hughes’ men, who gained full points to keep their top four spot in the table.

Well to the fore once again for the Waverley was ace marksman Scott Craig, who grabbed a brace to take his season’s tally to ten goals in seven games.

He told the Hawick News: “It’s all a bit crazy at the moment and I just hope it continues.

“The goals just seem to keep coming and I could well have had a hat-trick today as I hit the bar, which would have made things even crazier.

“I might be hitting the target but that’s because the team is playing well and I’m getting loads of support.

“It was hard going against Newtown, but we more than deserved our win and it’s been a good day all round.”

Waverley showed the early initiative and in the opening exchanges were denied an opener when a Craig effort hit the bar from a Daniel Chandler cross.

Minutes later they came close again when Barry Shiel’s shot was blocked by Mark Johnson during a goalmouth scramble. The rebound fell to the striker but he was foiled by a finger-tip save from Newtown keeper Gareth Weatherstone.

After Weatherstone had proven his worth again in saving from Taylor Hope, Newtown had their first real chance of the game when Daniel Purves raced through only to hit an angled shot wide. Just after this Waverley had the ball in the net. Weatherstone failed to hold a Ross Wallace free kick, before the ball broke to the feet of Jamie Richardson who shot home. But their joy was shortlived as the referee chalked it off for off-side.

Four minutes into the second half a goal eventually arrived. Dean McColm finding Craig with a well-fighted cross and the latter beat Weatherstone all the way with a rasping drive. Within two minutes Waverley went further ahead. Following a thrusting run, Shiel whipped over an inviting cross, Newtown defender Nick Knuth attempted to clear the danger but only succeeded in slotting the ball into his own net.

Three minutes later a goal arrived at the other end as Neil McIvor threaded a cross to Alan Cairney who finished matters off well.

After McColm had come close to getting his name on the scoresheet, Waverley sailed further ahead in the 70th minute through another own goal, with Paul Scott this time being the unfortunate Newtown player to do the business.

Waverley now had the game in hand and six minutes from time sealed victory when Craig cracked home a cross from McColm.