Waverley to the fore in cup tie after keeper’s very early bath

HAD Hawick Waverley lost this Beveridge Cup encounter, it would have brought the curtain down on their season.

However, a well-deserved victory has prolonged their campaign and booked a home tie against Greenlaw in the next round. But they had to do it the hard way after playing most of the match without goalkeeper Michael White, who was red- carded during the early part of the first half.

Waverley coach Bruce Hughes said: “It was a tremendous win for us. The players showed a lot of quality and did a brilliant job.

“We showed up well from the start and even when we went down to 10 men I thought we could do a job.

“Our attitude when we were a man short was fantastic. The effort put in by everybody was just great to see and we played some good quality football.

“I can’t praise the team enough. We’ve been playing better in our last few games, but this was our best showing for a while.”

Waverley were first to look like scoring when Barry Shiel drove a Steven Sharkey pass into the side netting.

Chirnside replied with a move that ended in George Blaikie firing in a low shot that was pushed away by Michael White. This was to be White’s only save of the match though, for with 17 minutes gone, the Waverley keeper received his marching orders.

Completely committing him-self in coming way out of his box in an attempt to halt a Chirnside raid, White scythed down the onrushing Robert Armstrong in full flight with a lunging challenge.

Chirnside got a free-kick and White a red card.

Waverley could well have crumbled, but this wasn’t to be as the ten-man homesters replied by breaking the deadlock in the 26th minute.

Taylor Hope threaded the ball to the feet of Shiel and the Waverley striker produced a perfect finish in tucking a shot past Chirnside keeper Sufi Omari.Stand-in keeper Scott Craig was then put to the test at the other end in pulling off an impressive save from Adam Turner.

After Shiel had been kept at bay by an Omari stop, Chirnside got on a level pegging with two minutes of the first half remaining when the lively Armstrong found the net with a shot on the run from a Graham Kelly pass.

Six minutes into the second period Waverley restored their lead. Jordan Yardley flicked a Shiel pass into the path of Hope who fired home.

Minutes later Hope was unfortunate not to get another when he rattled a shot against the post.

Waverley were playing some inspiring football and soon stretched their lead further.

Collecting the ball in midfield, Simon Philbin tore a gap in the Chirnside defence by surging forward and polished off his run by beating Omari all the way with a well-struck drive.

Chirnside drifted into the game for a spell after this, but Waverley’s strong defence meant they made little headway in their quest for goals.

Craig also played his part in getting down well to tip a Paul Cowe drive round the post at full stretch.

In the 70th minute, Waverley put the Berwickshire men into further arrears when Yardley blasted home a well-flighted Shiel cross.

Nine minutes from the end Chirnside reduced the deficit with an Armstrong goal but it was to prove nothing more than a consolation.

WAVERLEY: White, Clark, Marshall, Craig, Falcone, McLeod, Hope, Sharkey, Philbin, Shiel and Yardley. Substitutes: Ferguson, King and Gracie.