Waverley’s league challenge flounders in Chirnside fog

Hawick Waverley’s chances of lifting the Border Amateur Division ‘A’ title were dealt a killer blow at fog-bound Comrades Park on Tuesday night.

The Teri outfit’s 4-2 defeat at the hands of Chirnside United saw the Berwickshire side gaining the points that are almost certain to make them league champions.

However, had Waverley’s second-half showing matched an impressive first 45 minutes, it could well have been a different result.

The Hawick men began in determined fashion, and Grant Brownlee and Darren Munro both almost opened the scoring in the opening minutes. Liam Lavery then had a shot well saved by United keeper Martin Todd.

Waverley continued to push forward at every opportunity and the woodwork came to Chirnside’s rescue when a Munro shot hit the post.

With 39 minutes gone, Chirnside broke the deadlock. After running onto a Duncan Morrison pass, Robert Armstrong hit over a cross, and Jack Windram found the net with a shot which went in off the post.

Boosted by this, United began to step up their game, and within seconds of the start of the second half, Adam Turner was foiled by an Ali Willison save, before Armstrong blasted a shot against the upright.

Two minutes later, Armstrong put the homesters further ahead with a high shot that dipped into the net.

In the 64th minute, Waverley reduced the leeway through Scott Craig who polished off a move with a clynical finish. Waverley’s joy was shortlived, though, for United’s Armstrong restored their two-goal lead two minutes later.

With the fog thickening, Morrison put Waverley into further arrears by slotting away a fourth. The Hawick outfit then had the last say with aTaylor Hope strike on the 80-minute mark.

Expressing his thoughts on the match, Waverley manager Bruce Hughes told the Hawick News: “We had the better of the first half, but failedto score. Had we scored the first goal it might have made a big difference to the game, but unfortunately it didn’t happen for us.

“Full credit to Chirnside. They played well and took their chances.

“We have lost out in the league now, but we still have plenty to play for as we are still in two cups.

“We’ve got Leithen Rovers in the semi-final of the South of Scotland Cup at Innerleithen on Saturday,
and this is a massive game for us.”

Hawick Waverley: A. Willison, S. Sharkey, J. Richardson, N. McConnell, G. Brownlee, T. Craggs, B. Tait, T. Hope, D. Munro, L. Lavery, S. Craig. Subs: C. McCutcheon, P. Gellaitry, R. McLeod.

n Waverley’s South of Scotland Cup semi-final at Leithen Rovers is being sponsored by the Ladhope Inn, Galashiels.