YM in no mood to surrender unbeaten run as patched-up Linden pummelled at GHK

YM's Josh Farmer makes a break against Caithness at Mansfield Haugh on Saturday
YM's Josh Farmer makes a break against Caithness at Mansfield Haugh on Saturday
Share this article

National League Division Two

Hawick YM61


IT may be at the business end of the season, but with their 100 per cent league record to protect, there were no thoughts of a summer break for the Redskins players.

And with the league trophy presentation taking place at the end of the match, the YM wanted to put on a show for their loyal support.

The wind was fierce and it was Caithness, playing against it, who struck first. A great converted try put them 7-0 up, but the YM hit back after 12 minutes when Scott McLeod kicked on and broke through, but a loose leg brought him down and the referee awarded a penalty try.

McLeod grounded properly for the next try and in the 31st minute Graeme Cannon scored his first try of the season.

Five tries came YM’s way in the second half but the Redskins didn’t get it all their own way as Caithness kept the scoreboard rolling at a healthy rate.

Gregor Welsh scored in the 56th minute after an outrageous dummy, then Glyn Desport crossed over, followed by the try of the match by Neil McColm. Lewis Mallin and Shaun Desport rounded off the try-scoring for the Skins.

Ali Weir slotted six conversions and three penalties for a haul of 21 points.

National League Division Three


Hawick Linden12

LINDEN managed to scrape together a team to complete their league campaign, but it ended in misery for the Volunteer Park outfit.

What looked a reasonable side on paper soon changed as call-offs due to injury and unavailability left the line-up decimated.

They got off to a bad start and were seven points down inside a minute. And things got worse as they found themselves 62 points down at half time.

A good rally in the second half saw Terry Skeet twice break the opposition’s defence and the ball was taken on by Wattie Davies. Some good smuggling work from the forwards ended in Keith Mabon diving over.

Almost from the kick off Davies drove forward but the ball was won by GHK. Greg Bouglas then intercepted a move by the home backs and ran in unopposed from the half-way line. Robert Stitt scored his first points ever with a sweetly-struck conversion.