Wands restrict Colts to narrow victory

Share this article


Hawick Wanderers8

Peebles Colts10

DOGGED defending by the Wanderers ensured Peebles’ winning margin was just two points as the Hawick lads battled hard at the Volunteer.

The visitors had the chance to open the scoring after a good drive into the home 22, only to pull the resultant penalty award wide.

This spurred the Wands into life, and after a well-taken lineout by Craig Kyle just inside the Peebles 22, the ball was taken on by Nikki Hay who burst clean through before being brought down just short of the line. The recycled ball was played through the backs, and with full-back Scott Glendinning joining the line, he went over in the corner for an unconverted try.

Hawick should have increased their lead midway through the half with a good one-two between Andrew Baillie and Scott Anderson, but the latter was held up short of the line and unable to get a pass out.

It was all Wands pressure, but from an innocuous scrum on the halfway line, the Peebles stand-off sold an outrageous dummy and ran half the length of the field before being tackled right at the line by Andrew Boles. The Colts had support in numbers, and they picked up and drove over the line for a converted try to take the lead. With the half drawing to a close, Corey Wilson put the hosts back in front with a long-range penalty.

Peebles came out all guns blazing in the second half and dominated with a series of plays in the forwards, and only a stern defensive effort from the young Teries keept them at bay. Despite loads of possession and territory, all the visitors had to show was a penalty to put them back in front, but, ultimately, this was to be enough to win the game.

Hawick struggled to get their hands on the ball, and when they did it was met with firm resistance from the Peebles backs who were happy to play on the offside line, giving the Wands no room to move possession.

Hawick managed one last push to the half-way line just before the final whistle, but with a knock-on the game was over.