Redskins feeling just champion with title-winning show at RHC

Hawick YM's Garry Douglas in the thick of Saturday's action at RDC. Also pictured are Rory Scott, Stuart Graham and Billy Lilly
Hawick YM's Garry Douglas in the thick of Saturday's action at RDC. Also pictured are Rory Scott, Stuart Graham and Billy Lilly

AS the champagne corks popped the celebrations from Royal High School could almost be heard all the way back at Mansfield Haugh.

Huge cheers greeted the final whistle as Hawick YM lifted the National Division One title and secured their second promotion on the bounce.

There were several permutations to win the league and ironically enough even a defeat would have clinched the honours, but the simple scenario was to win, although Royal High Corstorphine put up a mighty fight.

Despite having nothing to play for except pride, the Royal High School side made it as difficult as possible for the Skins.

With a typically large travelling support the match was a nervy affair as the entire season came down to this one match.

Ali Weir got the ball rolling after eight minutes with a penalty, but RHC quickly levelled.

And the home side edged ahead when the YM defence was exposed by a cross filed kick and the RHC winger went in unopposed. With the conversion added the Redskins support were left chewing their finger nails.

The YM pushed hard but were finding it hard to get any change out of RHC until an attacking scrum in the 26th minute saw man-of-the-match Rory Scott break from the base of the scrum to send J.H. Reilly winner Glyn Desport roaring up the touchline to swan dive into the corner for a superb try.

And Weir kicked another super conversion to tie the scores at 10-10.

Both sides traded penalties with Weir tying the score with the final kick of the half.

Two minutes into the second half the Skins finally got their noses in front when Michael Graham scored in the corner after a slick move and deft final pass from Weir.

A few minutes later RHC reduced the arrears with a penalty before Scott was sent in for the YM’s third try after RHC were penalised for slow play at the lineout.

But the visitors couldn’t relax and RHC kept coming at them. Bruce Campbell grabbed the bonus point try when he intercepted inside his own 22. He appeared to stop after an apparent knock on, but the referee played on and he was left to gallop the length of the field and just made it to the touchdown as he left RHC in his wake with the roars of the YM support ringing round the ground.

Weir slotted another beauty of a kick and added three more with a further penalty.

Still RHC refused to buckle and scored a further two tries of their own.

But it wasn’t enough as the referee blew the final whistle to bring the curtain down on another remarkable season for the YM and cue amazing scenes of jubilation from everyone involved at the club.