Malleny Park misery for battling Hawick

Hawick's Lindsay Gibson fends off a Currie opponent
Hawick's Lindsay Gibson fends off a Currie opponent

An afternoon that began with optimism for Hawick concluded in agony as they were edged out in this keenly-fought BT Premiership battle.

Hawick kept themselves in the hunt for the full 80 minutes on Saturday with tries from Nikki Walker and Keith Davies either side of half-time, but two scores from Ross Western and two penalties from Joe Reynolds were enough for the home side to claim victory.

The Greens started the brighter of the two sides, with half-backs Sean Goddfellow and Ali Weir linking up well to orchestrate their back division. On such exchange of passes setting Rory Hutton early on. The skipper duly raced down the tram lines only to be brought down agonisingly short of the line.

Currie stand-off Joe Reynolds opened the scoring in the fifth minute, kicking a penalty conceded by the Greens’ Bruce McNeil. Hawick bounced back almost immediately, Goodfellow shifting the ball from the breakdown to Hutton, who burst through a gap in the home defence, before swapping passes with Weir, and releasing Walker for the touchdown in the corner.

Stand-off Weir extended Hawick’s lead to five points moments later after the home side failed to roll away in the tackle. However, Currie were the more combative of the two outfits, putting the Greens under pressure at the breakdown, and were rewarded when Hawick’s Rory Scott was sent to the sin bin for collapsing a rolling maul. From the resulting scrum, No.8 Ross Weston crashed over the line from close range after a well-executed driving scrum wasn’t dealt with by the visitors. Reynolds added the conversion.

Weir restored Hawick’s lead with another nice penalty after Currie were caught with their hands in the ruck, but the home side soon made the extra man count, and in almost identical fashion to the first try, the Malleny Park men earned a scrum on the
Hawick five-metre line before exploiting the Greens’ defensive shortage on the blind
side, with Weston barging over to score his second of the

After the break, Hawick continued to battle, and with the home side conceding four successive penalties, the Greens managed to mount some sustained pressure.

On 58 minutes, Davies sliced through some poor Currie defending with a blistering run to notch a try, with Goodfellow again providing the spark and combining with Weir, Hutton and Walker to set Davies clean through with the home defence failing to react quickly enough.

Currie enjoyed the better of the second half, beating Hawick at their own power game in the middle of the ruck. and Reynolds sealed victory for the home side with a simple three-points on 66 minutes after the Greens were again penalised for infringing at the breakdown.

Hawick: L. Armstrong, N. Walker, S. McLeod, R. Hutton, N. McColm, A. Weir, S. Goodfellow, S. Muir, L. Gibson, M. Landels, B. McNeil, A. Willison, R. Graham, R. Scott, K. Davies. Replacements: R. Graham, N. Mactaggart, S. Robertson, B. Campbell, G. Johnstone.