Gritty Greens clinch play-off thriller

A jubilant Hawick side celebrate promotion to Premiership Division One
A jubilant Hawick side celebrate promotion to Premiership Division One
Share this article

HAWICK secured their spot in Premiership Divison One in dramatic fashion at Meggatland.

The Greens opened the scoring in the eighth minute when Scott McLeod raced over.

Rory Hutton converted but the power and force of the huge Dundee pack was evident as Richie McIver levelled things up.

With chaos ensuing around the lack of a kicking tee, Jack Steele opted to drop the goal instead and it clipped the post and went wide – a decision that would haunt the Taysiders later on.

They barged ahead when the Hawick scrum buckled and Andy Dymock went over.

But Hawick refused to let their heads drop and Graham Hogg finished off a great pick-and-drive move as the Greens gave Dundee a taste of their own medicine.

Ali Weir, a late replacement for the injured Neil Renwick, kicked the conversion.

Weir almost grabbed another score when he was on the end of a flowing backs move from John Coutts but he couldn’t hold onto the ball.

It mattered little, though, as veteran Matt Landels surged over and Weir put them further ahead.

And Hutton was next to cross to put some daylight between the two sides going into the break.

Dundee came out after the interval a different animal and were quick to force their style on proceedings.

Sticking the ball up their jumper and rumbling forward, referee Peter Allan awarded two penalty-tries and the lead had evaporated.

But Hawick answered in the best possible way when Hutton intercepted on the half-way line and sent in Keith Davies to score.

Weir slotted the extras and then surrendered the kicking duties to Hutton when the Greens were awarded a penalty. The talisman split the posts superbly.

And then it was back to Weir from closer in as Hawick went further ahead.

But a third penalty-try, converted by Steele, drew Dundee to within a point and ensured a nerve-shredding finale.

It was one, though, which ended in great celebration for the legions of Hawick fans as Hutton kicked the ball out and the referee blew for full-time 38-39.