Royalists fluff lines again

editorial image

Royal Albert remained anchored bottom of the East of Scotland First Division league table following Saturday’s defeat.

Had Royalists made the most of the many scoring chances that fell their way it could well have been a different story. However, Graeme Chadwick’s side failed to do this, and the Albert Park outfit are the only team who have not won a game in the league this season.

You say that the Albert played some good football and deserved a better result.But it’s goals that count and Royalists failed to deliver the goods in this department and duly paid the penalty.

The Albert had the better of the first half by far. Andy Noble was denied an early goal by a save from Kelso keeper Elliot Turnbull. After Nick Ramsay had squandered an opportunity, United’s Steven Tait blazed wide at the other end.

Royalists were looking the likelier side and Turnbull pulled of a superb save in tipping a Noble drive over the bar after Gordon Ramsay had layed off a Nick Ramsay cross.

Apart from Albert number one Martin Stewart keeping out a Liam O’Rourke free-kick, most of the action was at the opposite goalmouth.

The Albert had nothing to show for their efforts, though, until sailing into the lead in the 39th minute. Turnbull failing to hold a Chris McLeod shot and Gordon Ramsay darting forward to tuck away the loose ball.

Two minutes later, Paul Brown was unfortunate not to put the home team further ahead in hitting the bar with a fierce angled drive.

With six minutes of the second half gone, Tait put the Tweedsiders on level terms in rising well to head home an O’Rourke corner-kick.

After the Albert had fluffed a string of opportunities, Kelso stole in front in the 75th minute. Owen Benzies intercepting a careless Ronald Fleming pass-back intended for Stewart before ghosting in unchallenged to score easily.

Royalists threw everything but the kitchen sink at the United goal following this.Substitute Gavin Shanley having a header cleared off the line by Frankie Rankin and Calvin Muttitt hitting the post with a header.

Try as they might the Albert failed to get an equaliser.

Summing up the game, Hawick manager Graeme Chadwick said: “We should have put Kelso out of sight in the first half as we were by far the better side. I counted at least eight chances that we failed to take. This came back to haunt us. I’m very disappointed about the result as it was a game we should have won.”

Hawick Royal Albert: M. Stewart, C. Muttitt, G. Shillinglaw, R. Fleming, S. Loughlin, C. McLeod, A. Noble, M. McKenzie, N. Ramsay, G. Ramsay, P. Brown. Subs: I. Zenati, G. Shanley, C. Dunsmore, G Chadwick.