Redskins rattle up 50 points as College side taught lesson at Mansfield Haugh

YM 50 Madras College 0

YM maintained their recent good run of league form with an emphatic victory over Madras last Saturday at Mansfield Haugh.

And it was the home side who were straight into the ascendancy when Ali Weir returned the kick-off deep into the visitors' territory. From this great field position, YM started the scoreboard ticking over with the first try of the afternoon when the pack drove over from a line-out and Craig Robson emerged with the ball. Weir slotted the conversion from the touchline.

Following a brief foray by Madras into the Hawick half, YM were quickly back in control with captain Craig Rodgerson taking the lead. Robson picked up the ball from a ruck near the halfway line, before feeding Dean McCracken. The latter then found Rodgerson who was up in support to run in the easiest of scores. Weir again landed the extras.

The home pack continued to dominate with Joe Carmichael, Keith Millar and Graham Scott to the fore. But despite having all the possession, it wasn't until the 25th minute that the Reds increased their lead.

Another well-taken line-out ball saw the backs spring into action again. Donald Hughes doing the damage this time, changing the direction of the attack to score on the blind. Weir's conversion struck the upright.

During the final few minutes of the half Madras came close to scoring following a quick tap-penalty, but their drive was halted just short of the line.

The Redskins increased their lead in the early stages of the second period when Weir landed a penalty goal in front of the posts. The Hawick side's 22-point cushion then saw them take their foot off the gas for a period. But when they did step things up again they blew their opponents away. More quick ball saw Hughes grab his second score of the afternoon as he barged over the line near the corner. The tight angle proved no object to Weir, who notched the tricky conversion.

From here scores came thick and fast. David Richardson burrowing his way over, followed by tries from Graeme Robertson and Steven Anderson, all of which were converted by Weir.