Rampant Redskins run riot

National Division Two

Hawick YM94

Newton Stewart7

UNLIKE the corresponding fixture earlier in the season, when Newton Stewart ran the YM close, this match turned into an absolute rout.

It took just four minutes for the first score as Lee Armstrong and Dean McCracken combined well for Scott McLeod to stroll in under the posts.

And the second try wasn’t long in arriving with Armstrong and McCracken involved again to release Ross Borthwick tearing up the wing.

Stephen Hill was next on the scoresheet and Lewis Mallin followed soon after, polishing off a great move engineered by the backs.

Straight from the kick off Garry Douglas gathered a marvellous ball and gained a penalty from a high tackle. Bruce Campbell tapped and after good work from McCracken and Jamie Tinlin captain Billy Lilly scrambled over the line.

The scoring continued and Armstrong, Shaun Desport and Campbell – scoring his first try of the season – added to the try count before the end of the first half. The only blot on an otherwise perfect opening half was the sin-binning of Hill for not rolling away.

The first try of the second half and the ninth of the match fell to McCracken who accepted a flip pass from Campbell to fall over the line.

Newton Stewart’s woes were made even worse when number 8 Alistair Gaw was yellow carded, and from the resulting penalty Hill scored his second try of the match.

Ali Weir scored after a great move by the backs and Borthwick followed this up by romping home from 40 metres.

Weir scored his second try of the day and with 20 minutes left the 100-point mark was looking a certainty, but to Newton Stewart’s credit they kept plugging away and the biggest roar of the day was when prop Ross Drysdale crossed for a deserved consolation try.

With seven minutes left Jamie Tinlin, on his 21st birthday weekend, bagged YM’s 14th try with a great solo effort.

To the dismay of the crowd the referee inadvertently blew the final whistle six minutes early.