Legion put Brunton through the mill as they earn precious points

Legion v Newtown
Legion v Newtown

AS the scoreline suggests, this game was a real ding dong affair.

End-to-end action and goals galore, there were few dulls moments in this fast flowing encounter.

And at the end of it all, Legion gained a much-needed win in their quest to climb up the Border Amateur ‘A’ Division table.

It was a victory that delighted Legion co-manager Billy Brunton, who said: “I’m really chuffed with the result, but the game aged me about three years as we made it hard for ourselves.

“We started off with three at the back but this wasn’t working so we changed things around. We began to play a lot better and went two goals up and looked good. “However, we then lost two horrendous goals and let Newtown back into the match.

“We managed to finish strongly though and got the win we were looking for. But it wasn’t good for my heart.”

Newtown drew first blood and sailed into the lead in the ninth minute when Neil McVicar slotted away a cross from the left.

Minutes later Newtown keeper Jason Henry prevented Legion from getting on level terms in doing well to tip a lobbed Andrew Maltman shot over the bar.

In the 29th minute, however, Maltman did produce the scoring touch. The ball broke to the Legion man’s feet after Newtown had failed to clear a throw-in and, back in the side after being sidelined through injury, Maltman hit a low shot into the far corner of the net.

Within nine minutes Legion edged in front.

Henry blocked a Steven Aries shot and Jamie Nisbet was on hand to drive in the rebound.

From a somewhat stuttering start, Legion were now roaring along and towards the interval Roddy McConnell and Luke Cooper both came close to scoring.

Luke Cooper was then unfortunate not to get among the goals at the start of the second half in hitting the upright with a well struck free-kick.

Continuing to look the better side, Legion kept pushing forward and in the 65th minute added to their tally when Aries fastened onto a Luke Cooper pass and shot past Henry.

Two minutes later, however, McVicar reduced the deficit with a well taken goal.

This counter boosted the visitors and after good play by Scott Leitch, Steven Makepeace struck away an equaliser.

But Newtown’s joy at drawing level was shortlived, for Luke Cooper soon regained the home side’s advantage.

Newtown were undaunted though and equalised in the 78th minute. Veitch producing the goods in rifling away a Matty Scott cutback.

Play continued to rage and Legion substitute Liam Gellaitry hit a shot against the post.

And four minutes from time, Legion grabbed what was to be the winner.

New signing Jody Easdon, who was making his debut after returning from Albert Park, did the business with a perfectly taken penalty after Luke Cooper had been upended.

HAWICK LEGION: C. Watson, M. Cooper, J. Nisbet, C. Brown, N. McConnell, A. Maltman, M. Philbin, R. McConnell, S. Aries, B. Tait and L. Cooper. Substitutes: P. Gellaitry, J. Easdon. L. Gellaitry and S. Duncan.