Last-gasp defeat ends YM’s unbeaten league run

THE Redskins turned victory into a loss in a gut-wrenching last ten minutes on Saturday, to end a winning league run of 27 matches stretching back to August 28, 2010.

To make matters worse, the SRU website originally had the result down as Musselburgh 56, YM 25 – and sometimes getting whipped is easier to take than getting nipped with the last kick.

YM had to make two late replacements as Steven Mabon was drafted into the Hawick squad and Craig Robson had to withdraw minutes before the kick-off with a recurring shoulder problem. Keith Millar and Barry Hill came in.

At the first ruck Musselburgh No9 Danny Owenson put up a high kick but one of the Musselburgh forwards strayed in front of the kicker and Ali Weir carried on from the week before and slotted the first penalty in two minutes to make it 3-0 YM. However stand-off David O’Hagan dropped a sweet goal to level scores almost instantly. Ali Weir again converted a penalty after six minutes when Musselburgh second row Lovett came in from the side. In the 20th minute Burgh levelled with another penalty by O’Hagan, and then Weir restored the lead with another kick.

Musselburgh scored the first try of the match 13 minutes from the interval. Burgh full back Liam Draycott’s turn and jink left Dean McCracken and Glyn Desport flat-footed and he scythed through the midfield untouched and past Barry Hill. His deft kick agonisingly bounced towards the corner flag and David O’Hagan won the race to the touchdown. He converted to make it 13-9 Burgh, but Ali Weir reduced the arrears in first-half injury time to one point.

The first 10 minutes of the second half saw a penalty each exchanged. YM’s try came in the 55th minute and it was a beauty by Stuart Graham. The Redskins took a rare strike against the head and Graham picked up at the base of the scrum. With the Burgh back row asleep YM had a 3-1 overlap but Graham just gave a dummy pass to stroll under the posts.

Weir converted, and slotted another penalty to increase the lead to 25-16 with 10 minutes to go.

However, indiscipline gave Burgh three more points, and the heartbreaking try came in the 78th minute. Burgh received a penalty 22 metres out and opted to kick for the corner. From the lineout Burgh took a simple catch and drove YM over to reduce the deficit to one point. The resultant conversion saw Burgh sneak a win in the last minute for the second week in a row.

P W D L F A B Pts

Preston Lodge 4 4 0 0 206 39 420

Duns 4 3 0 1 108 60 214

North Berwick 4 3 0 1 124 80 214

Ross High 4 2 0 2 73 77 210

Portobello 4 2 0 2 101 107 19

Hawick Lind 4 2 0 2 84 136 19

Forrester 4 1 0 3 55 85 26

Trinity Acad 4 1 0 3 51 115 15

Berwick 3 1 0 2 41 69 04

Lismore 3 0 0 3 30 105 00