Hawick fall prey to seven-try Hawks

Rugby news
Rugby news

Hawick are still searching for their second win of the season after being overpowered 43-10 in Saturday’s BT Premiership match at Old Anniesland.

The home side, who were met by little resistance from the Greens, scored five touchdowns inside 65 minutes, secured their bonus-point try moments after the break in a dominant performance.

Hawick’s Keith Davies and Shawn Muir eventually breached the Hawks defence with two consolation scores in the closing quarter, before tries by Brendan McGroaty and Andrew Davidson sealed a dismal day for the Robbie Dyes.

The game’s opening score came on the five-minute mark courtesy of Hawks’ Paul Ramsay who burst through the Hawick defence to send George Horne in.

Brendan McGroarty, who was imperious at outside centre, then left three Hawick defenders standing with a stylish side-step to put the homesters 12-0 up in as many minutes.

After a timid closing quarter to the half, in which both sides rarely troubled each other, Finn Gillies finished off a driving maul from a penalty lineout to score Hawks’ third and help the Glasgow side to a 17-0 advantage at the break.

Three minutes after the restart, Hawick’s prospects looked bleak as Horne notched Hawks’ fourth try of the afternoon. The Glasgow Warriors elite development player combining with scrum-half Patrick Boyer to release McGroarty, who rushed down the touchline before popping a cute inside pass to the supporting Horne who glided home under the posts.

Hawick remained in a positive frame of mind throughout the contest, surging forward whenever possible but found Hawks’ set-pieces simply too much to handle.

Tome Steven underlining the hosts’ dominance in the scrums and lineouts when he twisted his way through the Greens defence, after a powerful march upfield from the Hawks forward pack, to put them 29 points to 0 ahead and in cruise control.

In the final 10 minutes, Hawick fought gamely and with great spirit, ultimately earning two consolation scores. Davies touching down from close range after a run of six recycled phases had Hawks pinned on their own try line, while Muir took advantage of a lapse in the home defence to poke his head home and double the Greens’ tally.

The Teries’ wayward kicking and sloppy defending in the closing stages ended up costing them as Hawks added two late scores from McGroarty and Davidson to complete an emphatic victory.

Hawick: L. Armstrong, S. Peffers, N. Walker, G. Johnstone, S. McLeod, R. Hutton, G. Cottrell, S. Muir, R. Graham, N. McLennan, B. McNeil, M. Mckee, S. Fairbarin, R. Scott, K. Davies. Replacements: L. Gibson, W. Blacklock, N. Mactaggart, S. Goodfellow, M. Douglas.