Waverley hit by goal barrage

editorial image

Defeats for Hawick Waverley and Hawick Legion

hawick waverley1

A four-goal blitz from Chirnside during the closing half-hour of this Border Amateur ‘A’ Division match sent Waverley reeling to defeat.

Following a no-scoring first half, Waverley, who had 15-year-old Charlie Hope making his debut, broke the deadlock after the changeover through a well-worked goal.

A long kick out from goalkeeper Kerr Brown found Luke Cooper. The Waverley front runner then sprayed the ball into the path of Jordan Yardley who fired home.

Chirnside hit back to get on level terms with a hotly-disputed goal.

Following the Berwickshire team’s strike, Waverley were reduced to ten men when Steven Sharkey was given his marching orders for making remarks towards the referee.

United then edged ahead and duly went on to net a further twice.

Expressing his views on matters, Waverley assistant manager Alan Campbell commented: “We could well have won the game as we had a few chances but couldn’t put them away. I thought we were very comfortable when we were a goal up and even when we went down to ten men I thought we were good enough to get a win. But it wasn’t to work out that way.”

west barns star4

hawick legion2

Legion fell to their fourth defeat on the bounce in this free scoring Border Amateur ‘A’ Division encounter.

After West Barns had taken an early lead, Legion keeper Euan Reilly excelled in keeping the home side at bay with two splendid saves.

West Barns kept plugging way and Legion soon fell into further arrears.

With five minutes of the first half remaining Legion pulled a goal back. Craig McCutcheon swung over a cross and Sean Solley touched the ball towards Scott Duncan who found the net with a header.

On the half-time whistle, Star struck again.

Following the interval, Legion began to claw their way back into the game only to let themselves down through poor finishing.

The Hawick side were then sent reeling when West Barns grabbed a fourth from what appeared to be clearly an offside position.

Legion hit back to reduce the leeway when Callum Hope chipped a shot over the head of the Star keeper from an Aiden Reilly cut-back.

Talking of matters, Legion assistant manager Tony Craggs said: “We created chances but couldn’t really put the ball in the net and that’s the way it has been in our last few games.”