United show their class to bring cup back to Hawick

It's smiles all round after Hawick United clinched the Wright Cup
It's smiles all round after Hawick United clinched the Wright Cup

Hawick United 4 
Biggar United 0

Hawick United may not have turned on the heat, indeed the Wilton Lodge Park’s side’s performance was a bit lukewarm compared to some of the red hot shows they have been producing this season.

It was, nevertheless, the Tangerines’ day at Kerfield Park on Saturday as they did the job they set out to do in coming home with the Wright Cup.

Biggar were first to look like scoring in this battle of the United’s when Ewan Waddell worked his way in from the right to rattle in a shot that Hawick keeper Dean Fry did well to block.

Hawick came rallying back and Ross Scott almost broke the deadlock with an effort that dipped just over the bar on meeting a headed Brian Sheridan clearance.

In the 12th minute, however, Hawick did open their account.

Sheridan brought Aaron Swailes down in the box, referee David McNeil pointed to the spot and Kevin Strathdee did the rest in finding the net with a perfectly taken penalty.

Minutes later Hawick had an opportunity to go two up.

Attempting to break up a Hawick attack Murray Hamilton miskicked and the ball broke to the feet of Liam Lavery who was in the clear.

Lavery who was to go on to be a thorn in the flesh of the Biggar defence throughout the game, however failed to cash in by firing wide.

Biggar then showed their mettle when Adam Aird unleashed a shot that appeared destined for the net until being fingertipped round the post by the diving Fry.

After Scott had been failed by a Max Franchitti save, Hamilton broke clear and set up a chance for Waddell which the Biggar striker failed to take.

Hawick replied with a well worked move which ended in Franchitti keeping out a diving Scott header after Kevin Strathdee had layed off a Ryan Shepherd free-kick.

Just on half-time Lavery had the ball in the net but a goal was chalked off for offside against Swailes.

Four minutes into the second period, Hawick stretched their lead.

Moving in on goal on collecting a Kevin Strathdee pass, Simon Philbin was upended by Sheridan and it was penalty No.2 of the final. Philbin took the resultant spot-kick and made no mistake.

Although two goals down Biggar were battling hard and Fry was twice put to the test in first of all saving a Stuart Smith drive and then a Waddell free kick.

At the other end Scott almost got his name on the score sheet with a header when meeting a Lavery cross.

Hawick were now playing their best football of the game and in the 84th minute put Biggar into further arrears and once again it was from the penalty spot.

A move involving Daniel Bolton and Kevin Strathdee ended in Scott darting in.

Having his first full outing since returning from injury, Scott attempted to round Franchitti only to have his legs whipped from underneath him by the Biggar No.1.

Scott dusted himself down to score.

A minute from time Hawick struck again when Lavery rifled home a shot after the Biggar defence had only partially cleared an Aidan Reilly free-kick.

Reflecting on his side’s triumph, United midfield ace Declan Hogg said: “We didn’t play as well as we could have but we ended up winning a cup final 4-0 and you can’t ask for much more than that.

“The first half was a real battle and we never quite got going.

“In the second half we improved and ended up worthy winners. It’s great to have won a cup final and to get a cup for Hawick so early on in the season.”

Hawick United: D Fry, K Patterson, R Shepherd, R Wallace, A Reilly, D Hogg, R Scott, A Swailes, K Strathdee, S Philbin, L Lavery. Subs: J Wallace, R Law, D Slight, D Strathdee, D Bolton.