United and Legion knocked out of Forsyth Cup at the first hurdle

editorial image

Forsyth Cup first round

Hawick United 4

Kelso Thistle 6

In what turned out to be a real goal fest, United broke the deadlock when Michael Moir found the net with a shot.

After equalising, Thistle edged ahead, but United soon got on a level pegging through an Aaron Swailes counter. Play was swinging from end to end and towards the break the Tweedsiders took the lead again.

Early in the second period, Moir stuck away his second goal of the game. Thistle then netted a fourth.

United, however, soon drew level with a remarkable goal. After colliding with the Thistle keeper, a grounded Swailes flicked an overhead scissor kick into the net.

A brace of goals in the latter stages of the match duly put victory Thistle’s way.

United team boss Geo Shepherd commented: “We lost three key players, Ross Wallace, David Strathdee and Sean Owens through injuries during the game and this was a big blow.

“All credit to Kelso, though, as they played well. However, I am very disappointed that we are out of the Forsyth Cup as we were looking for a cup win.”

Biggar 4

Hawick Legion 1

Four second-half goals sent Leg-ion tumbling out of the Forsyth Cup.

Legion scored the only goal of a dourly fought first half when Callum Hope struck away a shot from a David Fraser pass. Early in the second period, Biggar got on level terms in netting a penalty following a handling offence by Gary Moffat. Biggar then grabbed a second after the Legion defence failed to clear a long kick down the middle. The home side duly scored again with a similar goal.

Legion were looking ragged and Biggar netted again when an attacker intercepted a Davis Hope headed passback to score.

Legion manager Clinton Sharkey said: “Biggar are second bottom of the league but they didn’t look like a team in this position as they were a very decent side. We didn’t help ourselves, though, as we were terrible in the second half. We just didn’t turn up at all.”