Seven-goal Royalists blitz Berwick as home fans act as ‘12th man’

Share this article


Hawick Royal Albert7

Berwick Rangers Reserves3

THERE was a hat-trick of hat-tricks, ten goals and the somewhat astonishing sight of Hawick’s senior side hitting the back of the net seven times.

There was also great cheering and chanting from Royalists’ young fans in the stand who enjoyed some flowing, attractive football.

This was the story behind Saturday’s entertaining encounter at Albert Park, and talking of what must go down as his side’s best performance of the season, Albert assistant manager Graeme Chadwick told the Hawick News: “All the hard work that has been put in these past few months paid off today.

“I though our boys were just brilliant. Everybody in the side worked their butts off, and we played some really good football.

“We also scored seven goals and it’s been a long time since a Hawick Royal Albert side did that.”

He continued: “It’s a win that has been a long time coming, though, as we have have been playing well but not taking our chances, but we took them in this match.

“It was a very good win and we can build on a result like this.

“The young boys in the stand helped as well, and gave us great support, and it’s like having another man on the park.”

With trialists Gary McCall and Danny May in their starting line-up and Hawick Youth Under-17 youngsters Robbie Kelly and Kerr Brown (goalkeeper) part of the bench, Royalists took the lead in the fourth minute.

On being fed by a pass from Jason Wood, Paul Powere waltzed round Berwick keeper Connor Wood and fired goalwards, only to see his effort handled on the line by Elliot Grieve.

It was a penalty, as well as the end of the game for Grieve who was red carded. Kris O’Neil took the spot-kick and made no mistake with perfectly-placed shot.

Within three minutes, however, Berwick drew level when Sam Young headed home a Callum Hill free-kick.

In the 14th minute the Black and Golds took the lead. Hill swinging over a cross from the right, and Young dide the rest in beating home keeper Andy Jack with a powerful header.

Berwick’s lead did not last long, for in the 17th minute Jamie Paterek equalised when tucking away a Craig Beattie pass.

A minute from the half-time mark the goal spree continued. O’Neil setting matters up in flicking a pass into the path of Paterek who took his chance well by rifling an unsavEable shot into the back of the net.

Urged on by a great support, Royalists kept up the pressure and Wood twice denied Andy Noble a goal with excellent saves.

With two minutes of the second period gone the Albert did score again. After having had a header blocked by Wood, Paterek stuck away the rebound to complete a splendid hat-trick.

O’Neil then put Berwick into further arrears in the 54the minute when notching his second goal of the game after working a one-two with Power.

In the 69th minutes the second hat-trick of the game arrived through a strike from visiting striker Young.

There was a third hat-trick with 84 minutes gone when following a thrusting run, Power threaded the ball to O’Neil who fired a shot out of the reach of Wood.

Almost on time Royalists got goal number seven. Berwick defender Ross Burns bringing O’Neil down in full flight, as a result of which a penalty was awarded.

It appeared a certainty that O’Neil would take the spot-kick. However, the job was given to Hawick youngster Steven Drummond who had only been on the park a few minutes after coming on as a replacement for Paterek.

Fifteen-year-old Drummond, in turn, netted his first ever goal for Royalists by driving a shot high into the net.

Talking of his golden moment, the high school pupil said: “I didn’t expect to be taking the penalty. But I was just handed the ball and told nobody but you can take the penalty.

“There was not time to be nervous and it was a great feeling to see my shot hit the net.”