‘Disappointing result’ for Hawick United

Hawick United's Euan Thomson fires a shot at the Ancrum goal. Looking on is Ross Wallace
Hawick United's Euan Thomson fires a shot at the Ancrum goal. Looking on is Ross Wallace



With both sides showing attacking intent early on, last night’s Border Amateur Division ‘B’ clash got off to a lively start.

United were first to look like scoring when Robbie Kelly blasted in a shot that looked net-bound. However, Denholm youngster and Hawick and Wilton cricket player, Ronan Alexander, put paid to this with a superb save.

Minutes later, United appeared to break the deadlock. Ross Wallace swinging over a free-kick which was turned home by Ross Scott. Referee Sampson, however, chalked off his effort for an apparent hand ball.

United were looking the livelier side, and after Kelly had blasted a shot inches wide, Alexander pulled off a good stop in keeping out a Kevin Strathdee flick-on from a Daniel Bolton cross.

After Daniel Glendinning had came near to putting Ancrum ahead, United were robbed of an opener when a thundering Euan Thomson drive rebounded off the bar.

Minutes later, Alexander thwarted the Tangerines by diving full stretch to his right to save an Ali Fanchi shot.

Just on the interval, the home men hit the woodwork for a second time.

Following athrusting run, Scott rifled a shot out of the reach of Alexander only to see his effort cannon off the foot of the post.

With two minutes of the second period gone, however, United did produce the scoring touch. After fastening onto a through-ball from Matthew Shepherd, Scott surged forward to rattle a shot into the net.

United had worked hard for an opener and should have gained a lift. It had the opposite effect, though, as the Tangerines failed to impose themselves, and it was Ancrum who began to raise their game.

Showing character, the villagers came rallying back to get on level terms, with Sean Wood shooting home through a static home defence.

After Alexander had been called into action again when getting down to push away a David Slight shot, Ancrum took the lead with 73 minutes gone. Josh Doncaster emerging the marksman by drilling away a Brodie Irvine cut-back.

United pushed hard for an equaliser from here on, but Amcrum dug in deep to take the honours.

United manager Geo Shepherd said: “I thought we were quite decent in the first half and the better side. We weren’t clinical in front of goal, though, and missed some chances.

“In the second half things just didn’t work for us. We dropped down a gear and didn’t perform. It was a disappointing result for us.”

HAWICK UNITED: D. Fry, M. Shepherd, R. Shepherd, K. Patterson, R. Wallace, D. Bolton, R. Scott, E. Thomson, K. Strathdee, R. Kelly, A. Fanchi. Subs: D. Slight, S. Shields, M. Clamp, C. Mitchell, G. Tait.