Chadwick: We didn’t deserve anything

editorial image

Although up against a ten-man Peebles oufit for much of the game, Royalists were still comprehensively beaten in Saturday’s East of Scotland First Division clash at Albert Park.

Summing up his side’s ragged performance, Albert manager Graeme Chadwick said: “I thought we started off well enough but then we went to sleep and lost two sloppy goals. But with Peebles having a man sent off we should have started to do better. In the second half, our guys just didn’t turn up and we didn’t deserve to get anything out of the match”.

With Hawick High School pupil Kerr Brown in goal, Hawick Legion’s Callum Hope leading the attack, and Jody Easdon, also of Hawick Legion, on the bench, the Albert had a great chance to open the scoring in the first minute.

On being put in the clear by an Andy Noble cross, Paul Brown, however, miscued a shot with only Rovers keeper Chris Malcolm to beat.

Royalists continued to show promise, but with 16 minutes gone Peebles took the lead when Duncan Ndineni fastened on to a long pass from Shaun Meikle and darted forward to fire past Brown.

In the 23rd minute, Peebles went further ahead. Jordan Hall swung over a corner-kick from the right flank and with the Albert defence stationary, Chris Lockhart bulleted the ball hom e with his head.

Royalists then opened their account in the 37th minute. Rovers’ Lee Zavaroni handled a Gary Shillinglaw corner in the box. The referee pointed to the spot before red carding Zavaroni. Cairns made no mistake with a perfectly-taken penalty.

Peebles might have been down to ten men but it certainly didn’t appear to be that way, and Lockhart notched his second goal of the match in cashing in on some slack covering to put away a Hall free-kick.After Malcolm had pulled off a save from an Easdon header following a Ronald Fleming free-kick, Rovers extended their lead.

Royalists failed to clear a Jonathon Flockhart corner and Geri Rossi rattled in a shot. Minutes later, Scott Sutherland got among the goals when walking the ball into the net after rounding Brown.

In the closing stages, Cairns reduced the leeway with another penalty after James Clarkson handled in the box.