Battling United overturn two-goal deficit to sit top

Hawick United finished the day top of the Border Amateur ‘B’ Division, thanks to a hat-trick by skipper Kevin Strathdee and Sean Owens’ controversial winner deep into stoppage time.

However, Stow striker Cleghorn gave his side an early advantage when firing home from six yards after some hesitation in the Tangerines defence. Not to be outdone, United applied the pressure and were soon rewarded. Owens crossed from the left and Kevin Strathdee volleyed home expertly to level the match.

United found themselves in trouble again on the 30-minute mark. Centre-half Colin Turnbull upended a Stow attacker, giving referee Jim Sammson no option but to award a penalty. United keeper Dean Fry was up to the task, though, pulling off an excellent stop by diving to his right.

With honours even at half-time, United soon found themselves on the back foot only moments after the restart.Fry quickly turning from hero to villain and after spilling the ball at a corner, Stow centre-half Wood was in the right place to stab the ball home.

With their tails up, Stow quickly grabbed another, this time a mix-up between Fry and Steven Shields providing Stow striker Crawford with the chance to prod the ball into the back of the net.

Captain Strathdee hauled United back into contention with a cute header, after good work from Owens and Kevin Paterson.

And United drew level with less than 15 minutes to go. The outstanding Kevin Strathdee completing his hat-trick after again combining with Owens.

Both sides squandered chances going in search of the winner and a draw looked likely. United had other ideas, however. And deep into injury time, sweeper David Strathdee won a loose ball in the middle of the park. Owens, who had been influential throughout, strode forward and collected the latter’s pass before lobbing the ball over the Stow goalkeeper’s head. A visiting defender looked to have cleared the ball off the line, but the referee blew his whistle and signalled to the centre circle. It was a big call from the ref and United held on to win 4-3.

Full report and after-match reaction in the paper.