Five-star Waverley coast into last four of Beveridge Cup

Beveridge Cup

Hawick Waverley5


HAWICK Waverley breezed into the semi-finals of the Beveridge Cup after last Thursday night’s emphatic victory over Greenlaw.

On top throughout, the Hawick side would have won by a much bigger margin had it not been for the heroics of the visitors’ keeper Jamie Lyall. A teacher at Trinity school in Hawick, Lyall thwarted the Teries time and time again with a string of excellent saves.

However, the Greenlaw number one did not get off to the best of starts for with just six minutes gone Waverley sailed ahead. Barry Shiel drove in a shot that Lyall failed to hold, after which the lurking Taylor Hope stepped forward to tuck away the loose ball.

Minutes later Lyall made amends in pulling off the first of his many top-notch stops when tipping a net-bound Shiel effort drive over the bar.

Waverley added to their tally in the 16th minute, Simon Philbin hitting over a cross which was slotted home by Shiel for his 20th goal of the season.

With an away tie against Leithen Rovers in the last four of the competition awaiting the victors, Waverley were looking the likelier side and after wriggling his way out of two challenges, Philbin was thwarted by a Lyall save.

Waverley keeper Michael White was then put to the test in keeping Greenlaw at bay by stretching out a leg to block a shot from the incoming William Smillie. Within minutes of this the Hawick outfit increased their lead when Steven Sharkey made no mistake with a penalty after Jordan Yardley had been brought down in the box by Alan Tuckett.

Greenlaw then reduced the leeway through a Douglas Allan strike. Waverley, however, were still very much in the driving seat and Lyall was forced to put the shutters up with brilliant saves from Yardley and Philbin in rapid succession.

It was simply all Waverley, and after Lyall had pulled off further stops from Grant Ferguson and Shiel, the home side eventually struck again. Ferguson produced the goods in beating Lyall with a perfectly-struck shot from a Hope pass.

Shortly afterwards Waverley went nap. The Greenlaw defence only partially cleared a cross from Philbin, with Hope cashing in by blasting a shot into the net.

Waverley dominated the remainder of the match and substitute Andy King came near to getting his name on the scoresheet, before Lyall foiled Shiel with yet another very creditable save.

Sanderson Cup

Peebles Rovers Reserves3

Hawick Legion Rovers3

(after extra time)

Peebles won 1-0 on penalties

HAWICK Legion Rovers made an agonising exit from the Sanderson Cup following a penalty shoot-out.

Dale Drummond put the Hawick men ahead during the early stages of this battle of the Rovers. Peebles then fought back to notch an equaliser, but the Teries soon restored their lead with a Jamie Dalgliesh goal.

The homesters got back on level terms with a penalty. With no more scoring the game went into extra time, and Peebles took the lead in the opening period. However, Rovers were still in there fighting and Gary Moffat grabbed a dramatic equaliser during the second period.

It was now down to penalties to decide the outcome, and it was Peebles who edged through in being the only side to score out of ten attempts.