Craig nets last-gasp leveller to earn Waverley Scottish Cup replay

Share this article

Scottish Amateur Cup third round

Watt Star AFC3

Hawick Waverley3

Hawick Waverley kept their Scottish Amateur Cup hopes alive with a battling draw in Midlothian.

Watt Star almost got off to the perfect start in the first minute when Liam Gormley fired in a cross from the left wing. It was met on the half-volley by Scott Mason and his powerful drive from 15 yards rebounded off the post.

Waverley created a couple of half-chances with Grant Ferguson heading over a Ross Wallace cross and a shot from Taylor Hope only just clearing the crossbar.

On the 20-minute mark, Watt Star took the lead when Mark McGuinness fired home. And they doubled their lead three minutes later when Colin Peacock headed home a Jordan Lamb cross.

The home side then made it three goals in seven minutes when Ross Winter sent Steven Walker the wrong way from the penalty spot.

Waverley were struggling at this point but tried to get a foothold in the game. Aiden Reilly got a shot in from a Hope cross but it was gathered by Watt Star keeper Michael Quinn.

In first half injury time, Waverley got on the scoreboard. Stuart Marshall’s cross was headed on by Scott Craig to Ferguson who headed in.

Watt Star created the first chance of the second half when a long kick out from Quinn was headed on by McAnulty. This put Gormley clean through on goal but his shot dipped over the bar.

Waverley clawed another goal back on 49 minutes when they were awarded a penalty for a handball offence and 17-year-old Reilly stepped up to slot home.

Craig McCutcheon created a chance by beating a defender but his shot was blocked, after which Michael Clark came to Waverley’s rescue, heading the ball off the line. Then a minute later, Gormley was through again and although his shot beat Walker, Alan Campbell made a superb clearance.

Waverley survived a couple of penalty claims before making some changes as Jamie Richardson was brought on up front.

At the other end, Walker then made the save of the game. A cross from the left wing seemed destined to be knocked home at the far post but Marshall stuck out a leg only to divert the ball goalwards, at which point Walker miraculously pushed it over the bar.

Waverley were pushing everyone forward, including their keeper, and were rewarded in the second minute of added time. A corner was cleared but knocked back into the danger area.

The ball broke to Ian Turnbull who took a touch then fired in a left-foot shot. Craig stuck out a foot and deflected it into the top corner.