Warning over chip pans after two fire crews tackle blaze

Share this article

A LOCAL fire boss has warned of the dangers of using chip pans after a fire at a house in Dovemount Place last Friday, writes Sarah Williamson.

A man had to be treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, while a woman was also checked over by paramedics, after cooking oil caught fire in the kitchen and forced them to flee their home.

It was at around 4.30pm that the alarm was raised by the couple, with Hawick’s full-time and retained fire appliances both called out.

Group commander Scott Forbes told the Hawick News: “We were called to 6 Dovemount Place on Friday afternoon where a chip pan was alight. Using a high pressure hose reel and four breathing apparatus, we were able to quickly put it out, but there had already been extensive damage caused to the kitchen and the rest of the house.

“The male and female had already left the property and thankfully didn’t require hospital treatment, but this highlights how dangerous chip pans are and we really encourage people not to use them.”

He added: “We would also like to stress how important it is that homes are fitted with working smoke detection. We are more than happy to advise people on this and can fit smoke alarms free of charge.”