Ten walkers set out from the main car park in Jedburgh, and the first section of the walk took them via Howden Coach House, out to Hunthill Estate, home of part of the Rutherford family. The Hunthill line goes back to the 15th century and produced Andrew Lord Rutherford, Earl of Teviot, whose title passed through the Lords of Hunthill until the line died out in 1720.
The group arrived on the driveway leading up to Hunthill and passed between two gateposts topped with lions. They followed a path through a wood to the Jedburgh to Oxnam road, and soon joined an ancient route called Sandy Road between Hunthill and Easter Ulston. From Sandy Road they entered Grouse Wood and exited on to Dere Street, joining the Borders Abbeys Way with views across to Peniel Heugh and the Eildon Hills in the distance. The walkers then made their way along the Borders Abbeys Way past Hartrigge and back to Jedburgh.
The next walk is by the River Tyne at Hadington, starting at 9.30am in the Common Haugh. All welcome.