Taxi driver attack and street assault lands accused in jail for 15 months

Selkirk Sheriff Court
Selkirk Sheriff Court
Share this article

A man who attacked a taxi driver in Hawick, breaking two of his teeth, was jailed for two years at Selkirk Sheriff Court on 

Jamie Whigham, 26, described as a prisoner in Edinburgh, admitted assaulting the driver in Dickson Street on December 30, repeatedly punching him on the head to his injury.

He had specifically requested the driver, who suffered a bleeding nose and two broken teeth.

Tessa Bradley, prosecuting, said Whigham had been out socialising and became angered by an allegation involving the victim.

He rang for a taxi and asked for a specific driver, who attended. The accused leaned over the front passenger seat and punched the driver on the nose, causing it to bleed.

“He began raining blows on his face, before leaving the vehicle and walking off,” added Ms Bradley.

The taxi request was traced to Whigham’s girlfriend’s mobile phone, which he had used.

The victim required dental treatment.

Defending, Ross Dow said: “It is concerning that this was pre-meditated and he should not have taken the law into his own hands.”

Sheriff Jamie Gilmour jailed Whigham for nine months.

He also pleaded guilty to punching a man on the head, causing him to fall to the ground, and kicking him on the head to his severe injury at Torwoodlee Road, Galashiels, on March 12.

The victim sustained a fractured cheek, as well as cuts and swelling around his eye.

Ms Bradley told how the man had walked past a flat occupied by the accused’s brother when he heard a shout: “What the f**k are you looking at”.

Ms Bradley went on: “He ignored it and walked on, but the accused jumped out of a ground-floor window and followed him.”

Whigham punched the man on the back of the head, causing him to fall to the ground, hitting his face on the pavement. When he heard a bottle smash nearby, Whigham then kicked the 

The blood-covered victim was taken to Borders General Hospital and detained overnight for observation.

Mr Dow said the offence was committed against a background of “bad blood”.

Whigham was imprisoned for a further 15 months.