Resolution in sight for Mote grass

The top section of the Mote will be cut by 'next week at the latest', according to Councillor Davie Paterson.
The top section of the Mote will be cut by 'next week at the latest', according to Councillor Davie Paterson.

Councillor Davie Paterson conceded this week that the state of the grass on the Mote is “disgraceful”.

In an email sent to the Hawick News, Mr Paterson said: “I agree the Mote looks disgraceful at the moment but we have been assured that the contractor will cut it either at the end of this week or next week at the latest.”

Townsfolk took to Facebook to criticise the Mote’s “patchwork” appearance and likened it to having had its hair cut by “Jimmy Rae”. Other locals wondered if the historic site had been hit by a strange disease which had destroyed large areas of the grass.

The row over the Mote grass has rumbled on for most of the summer and on several occasions Councillor Paterson has cited health and safety regulations as well as claiming it costs around £400 per time to have it cut.

In an email explaining the current situation, council official Alistair Finnie said: “The mote has been cut as much as we can with our resources at Hawick.

“The upper section, excluding the flat section on the top, requires operatives trained in rope access and we have employed an external contractor to do this for a number of years now.

“I have just received agreement [on Monday] from the members [councillors Paterson, Ron Smith and George Turnbull] to allocate the
funds and the contractor hopes to have it cut within two weeks.”