Share this article

DRUNKEN hooligans will not be allowed to wreak havoc in Hawick’s newest pub.

That was the clear message delivered this week after alcohol-fuelled yobs tainted the opening weekend for Wetherspoon.

The Hawick News can reveal male and female staff were subjected to a torrent of abuse on Sunday afternoon – with some reduced to tears as a result of the nasty incidents.

It is understood some were refused service because they were wearing football tops, while others were considered too drunk. And this prompted the barrage of abuse.

But a Wetherspoon spokesperson confirmed that those responsible have been banned and warned potential trouble makers to stay away.

They said: “A combination of factors on Sunday – the bank holiday, good weather, a new pub, perhaps the Old Firm game – unfortunately culminated in some problems.

“The trouble-makers responsible have all been identified and will not be welcome back into the pub. We will not tolerate antisocial behaviour and will do everything possible to prevent any future problems. We will be adding to our door staff at the pub for busy periods.

The £1.1million development – officially named The Bourtree – opened its doors last Tuesday and has already proven popular with Teries and visitors to the town.

Demand was so high over the weekend in particular that customers were ultimately left disappointed as the pub ran out of a number of supplies.

The spokesperson conceded it had been an overwhelming baptism of fire, but said they are looking forward to a bright – and peaceful – future in the town. “The first week at The Bourtree proved extremely busy. Friday and Saturday in particular were fantastic days at the new pub.

“We expected high demand, especially for food, however demand exceeded our expectations.

“The opening weekend was a good experience for everyone, all the staff are still smiling and looking forward to welcoming customers and their families into The Bourtree.”

Police confirmed they attended an incident on Bourtree Place on Sunday night after reports of a fight. However, Inspector Paula Clark said: “They arrived a short time after the call but nothing was ongoing at that time.”