Policeman rapist has his jail sentence cut

A former police sergeant who was branded a disgrace to his uniform and jailed for 12 years for a catalogue of sexual abuse and violence has had his sentence cut.

The Court of Criminal Appeal in Edinburgh quashed the trial judge’s sentence and imposed a nine-year term on Kevin Storey, formerly of Hawick, who was convicted at the High Court last year of rape, attempted rape, indecent assault and assault.

The appeal judges, Lord Menzies and Lady Smith, also scrapped a three-year supervision order which Storey, 48, would have been under on his release.

They agreed with Storey’s defence counsel, Shelagh McCall, that the 12-year term was excessive.

Lord Menzies said: “It was submitted that the trial judge failed to attach sufficient weight to several mitigatory factors, which are relatively unusual, in this case. In particular, the fact the appellant had an unblemished record of public service. He served for 28 years as a police officer, latterly as a sergeant, and received several commendations in that service.”

Lord Menzies said an assessment carried out on Storey also showed he was a low risk of future sexual and violent offending.

Storey, formerly of Quarrydene, Melrose, was found guilty of eight charges against three women and a child.

One victim told the court that she feared he was untouchable. She said she felt used by Storey and found some of his sexual practices painful and disgusting.

Storey was convicted of assaulting his first victim in 1989 at a house in Galashiels. She was grabbed by the body, pushed out of the house and seized by the neck.

A second was assaulted at addresses in the same town during the 1990s and Storey also tried to rape her.

A third woman was also subjected to abuse and violence, which began in the 1990s, and also suffered rape and indecent assault.

Miss McCall said testimonials showed he was a conscientious officer, a reliable and trusted friend, and a positive member of the community.