Paramedic tells court of murder victim ‘flat lining’

PARAMEDICS battled in vain for more than half-an-hour to save the life of a murder victim.

But there was little they could do for Brian Mair because of the extent of his injuries.

Mr Mair, 44, had been stabbed in the heart, the main artery in his leg had been sliced open and he had a punctured lung.

He eventually “flat lined” because he had lost so much blood that his heart stopped, the High Court at Livingston wastold today.

Paramedic Gregor Sharp, 44, and his partner Gordon Jackson arrived at the flat at 8a Howegate within five minutes of receiving a 999 call about the stabbing.

But safety protocols regarding stabbing incidents meant they had to wait outside for almost five minutes until police arrived.

When they finally entered Derek Kinghorn’s flat, they found Mr Mair lying on the living room floor and heard a man saying: “It was me. It’s me you’re looking for”.

Mr Sharp said he could tell straight away that their patient was seriously injured.

He said: “I looked for life-threatening chest injuries and I could see one straight away round about the heart area.

“The second was round about the right groin area. There was quite a lot of blood which had soaked the carpet.”

Mr Sharp said there was “no palpable pulse” and very little, if any, chest rise to show the victim was breathing.

Initially they detected a normal heart rhythm but within minutes this deteriorated then “went flat line” indicating there was no electrical activity in the heart at all.

He added: “We initially had a period where we thought we might have a wee chance, but once we’d tried everything over maybe half-and-hour, 35 minutes, we pronounced life extinct.”

Derek Kinghorn, 44, from Hawick, denies repeatedly striking Mr Mair on the head and body with a knife, threatening to kill him and murdering him.

He also denies assaulting Miss Michaels by striking her on the body with a knife to her severe injury and permanent disfigurement during the incident in his home on November 1, 2011.

Earlier the dead man’s partner claimed she was scarred for life trying to stop Kinghorn from stabbing him.

Giving evidence via a closed circuit TV link, Amy Michaels said she threw herself between Mr Mair and his attacker in a desperate bid to halt the assault.

But she was injured on the back of the hand as Kinghorn continued to wield an eight-inch kitchen knife.

The High Court at Livingston was told that Miss Michaels, 46, spent more than a week in hospital as a result of the injury and had to have microsurgery under general anaesthetic.

The three-inch slash wound caused tendon, tissue and nerve damage which left her hand numb.

She said: “I’ve got lasting difficulty. If I pick up a kettle I drop it.

“I’ve got to have physiotherapy and I can have an operation to see if it will rectify the damage, but it’s not guaranteed.”

PC Michael Burgher said Kinghorn was covered in blood when he answered the door to his flat the night of the stabbing.

“He said ‘OK, I done it’. I stabbed him’ so I immediately handcuffed him and left him with my colleague in the bathroom.

“In the living room there was a lady bent over Brian Mair. I allowed the ambulancemen in and they started cutting off his clothes and established that he’d been stabbed.

“As soon as the paramedics started work I went back to the bathroom and formally detained Mr Kinghorn on suspicion of serious assault.”

He said the accused had injuries to the back of his head and on both hands.

He noted that Kinghorn said at one point: “I’m f***ed. He attacked me because he thinks I’m seeing his girlfriend”.

Later, at the police station, constable Burgher noted more comments made by Kinghorn.

He told the jury that Kinghorn had made repeated remarks along the lines of: “He smashed a bottle on my head.

“I drink and smoke cannabis and when some c*** puts a bottle on my head I just do them.”

The officer added: “He was pretty agitated and there was lots of rambling. He’d definitely been drinking.”

PC Brian Murray, 49, said he made a visual inspection of the living room after the ambulance men had left and noticed a large bloodstained kitchen knife lying on top of a unit and shards of broken glass near the fireplace.

The trial continues.