Sunday’s 50+ Group walk was in the Greenlaw area, new territory for most of the group. The old railway line, which ran from Reston to Earlston, was followed out of Greenlaw. On meeting the road, the track to Chesters was taken, with glimpses of Marchmont House in the trees ahead.
The group rejoined the railway line just before the site of Marchmont Station, which closed to passengers in 1951, and lunch was enjoyed in brilliant sunshine overlooking the line. It was then up through the estate, passing banks of snowdrops, to view the ruins of Redbraes Castle, the original home of the Humes of Marchmont.
Marchmont House was the next port of call. This impressive Palladian mansion, built in 1750 by the 3rd Earl of Marchmont, is now in private ownership and undergoing extensive renovations.
Following the Great Avenue, which is thought to be the longes in Scotland, the walkers joined the road to Polwarth Church and from there the Green Ride back to Greenlaw. A walk of just over eight miles.
The next walk is on Sunday, March 2, to Wynburgh.