Man jailed for attack on ex-partner

A “nasty assault” on his ex-partner saw Lee Johnstone jailed for six months at Jedburgh Sheriff Court.

The 21-year-old, of Ramsay Road, admitted pushing the woman on to a bed at a house in Lothian Street on February 15 last year, punching her on the head and body, and placing his hand on her mouth, causing a tooth to break.

She also suffered swelling and bruising in the attack, which followed an argument between them.

The distressed woman ran from the house crying and sought refuge with a friend.

Sheriff Donald Corke described the offence as “a nasty assault” by a man with a history of violence.

Johnstone also received a concurrent two-month jail term after he admitted driving dangerously.

He lost control of his vehicle on “speed bumps” after being pursued by police.

Johnstone abandoned the car and ran off.

He had only bought the car two days earlier and was driving without insurance.

Other drivers had to take evasive action as Johnstone sped through roads in the town, pursued by a police vehicle with blue flashing lights.

He admitted driving dangerously and without insurance in Wilton Path, Dickson Street, Stirches Road, Hazelwood Lane and Alemoor Court, on May 15.

He was also banned from driving for 12 months and ordered to resit an extended test.

“It was just after midnight and when he saw police he reversed at speed from a junction and sped off,” explained depute fiscal Keith O’Mahony.

“Police pursued him, with their blue light activated, and he lost control when negotiating speed bumps on the road, and other vehicles had to take evasive action.

“He then abandoned the car, which was sold to him just two days before, and ran off.”

Assaulting a man to his injury at a local pub resulted in Paul Marshall being sentenced to 200 hours’ community service.

Marshall, 28, of Howdenbank, denied striking a man on the head to his injury at the Queens Head pub, High Street, on August 6, 2010, but was found guilty after trial. He was on bail at the time of the offence.

“This was a nasty assault and there was also a bail aggravation,” said Sheriff Donald Corke.