Man back behind bars for six months after drunken assault on mother

A celebration of his early release was shortlived for Gary Stewart, who found himself back in custody the same day.

The 20-year-old had gone out drinking to mark his liberty from Polmont Young Offenders’ Institution, but was arrested after assaulting his mother and causing a disturbance at Borders General Hospital.

Stewart, of Commercial Road, appeared from custody at Selkirk Sheriff Court and admitted pushing his mother to the floor and repeatedly punching her to the face at a house at The Valley, Selkirk, on May 25.

“He had been released from Polmont that day and returned to Selkirk and went out drinking,” explained procurator fiscal Morag McLintock.

When he met up with his mother she was concerned about his “boisterous” behaviour and decided to escort him back to the house to “sleep it off”.

“She was putting him to bed when he pushed her on to the floor and then sat astride her and punched her on the face a number of times,” continued Ms McLintock.

“She struggled and eventually got him off her and as soon as she was free, she ran downstairs, but the accused followed her.

“He was lashing out and broke free from her partner and jumped out of a window into the street.”

The accused’s mother suffered bruising to her eye and a bleeding lip and was taken to Borders General Hospital for treatment.

Police found the accused lying in a garden nearby and when he complained of feeling sick, he was taken to the accident and emergency department, where he shouted and swore.

He ignored police and medical staff when they told him to quieten down.

“His commotion was causing alarm to others in the department as he continued to shout and swear and tried to get out his bed,” added Ms McLintock.

Stewart’s solicitor said his client had drunk far too much following his release from Polmont and had no recollection of his behaviour.

“Drinking to the extent where he can’t remember anything is a dangerous problem,” conceded the lawyer.

Sheriff Kevin Drummond told Stewart: “Behaviour like this cannot be allowed to continue in the community.”

He ordered that he serve two months of his outstanding sentence and jailed him for a further four months for the offences – a total of six months.