Jail for man who breached bail

Share this article

A repeat offender who breached bail by entering Gala Park and assaulting a man, was jailed for 209 days.

Twenty-four-year-old Rory Morrison, of Towerknowe, appeared from custody at Selkirk Sheriff Court and admitted breaching a bail order not to enter Gala Park or Gala Park Court, on July 4.

He also admitted assaulting a man there by punching him on the head to his injury.

He received a 120-day jail term – to run concurrently – when he also admitted breaching an ASBO by struggling violently with police at his Towerknowe home on October 5.

The court heard how police attended following a complaint about noise from Morrison’s flat.

Officers heard loud music, with the front door standing wide open.

Morrison suddenly appeared, shouting “f*** off” to the officers and swinging his arms.

He continued to struggle violently as police tried to restrain him.

Sheriff Kevin Drummond told Morrison, who is currently serving a 10-month jail sentence, that the community must be protected from his behaviour.

“Every effort has been made to give you the opportunity to show you can behave in the community, but you seem to be incapable of it,” he told Morrison. “The community must be protected from your behaviour,” he added.

A teenager was remanded in custody until January 6 after breaching his bail condition not to enter the Borders.

Sean Lockhart had been liberated on bail after appearing on an assault charge on October 17, with a condition not to enter the Borders unless for court.

The 18-year-old never left the area and was found in Hawick the following evening.

Lockhart, of Castlemilk Drive, Glasgow, admitted breaching a bail condition in Hawick on October 18.

Depute fiscal Keith O’Mahony told how police visited a house in the town shortly after 11pm following complaints of loud music.

“They found four people there, including the accused, who was detained,” he said.

Lockhart, who was under the influence of alcohol at the time, replied to caution: “F*** the Queen.”

Lochart’s solicitor described her client as “a victim of circumstance”.

“He didn’t have funding to travel, and has paid a heavy price, having already spent four weeks in custody,” she explained.

Sheriff Donald Corke deferred sentence until January 6 to run alongside other business and remanded Lockhart in custody.