Hawick blaze injures man and kills Staffordshire Bull Terrier

A MAN has been injured and a dog killed in an early-morning fire at a house in Hawick.

Occupants of the flat in Wellfield Road were trapped by smoke and given survival advice on the phone from fire brigade staff in Edinburgh.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said that when crews arrived they found the kitchen of the second floor property well alight.

A 20-year-old man was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Borders General Hospital with burns to his right hand.

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier died but a second dog managed to escape without injury.

The blaze, which was tackled by crews from Hawick and Selkirk, is believed to have been started by a heater and the flat was extensively damaged.