‘Defiant and untrustworthy’ teen returns to court on assault charge

Share this article

A Glasgow teenager who assaulted a man out walking his dog, was remanded in custody until February 24, for reports.

Eighteen-year-old Sean Lockhart of Castlemilk Drive, Glasgow, attacked the 28-year-old when he was out walking his dog at Victoria Road, Hawick, around 7pm on May 4.

He admitted repeatedly punching the man on the head and body and kicking him on the body to his injury.

Depute fiscal Keith O’Mahony said the victim was unknown to the accused.

“He was walking his dog at about 7pm and came across the accused and his former co-accused in the company of two teenage females,” explained Mr O’Mahony.

“The accused was drinking, and the victim accepted some drink from him, and initially the relationship was friendly and amicable.”

Mr O’Mahony said there had been an incident involving the accused and the complainer’s dog, and the man challenged Lockhart about this.

“The accused began to punch him on the head and body, and kick him, and he tried to defend himself with little result.”

Lockhart was detained by police and described the assault as “a scrap,” adding: “He never had a chance, as I got the first punch in.”

The victim suffered a graze and cut to his arm, a bleeding lip, and a graze to his face.

Lockhart’s solicitor said her client had experienced a “chaotic lifestyle” growing up, and it was “no real surprise he ended up offending”.

She said Lockhart had suffered “a severe alcohol problem for the last two years” which affected his mood and his behaviour.

“He accepts his guilt and apologises for his behaviour,” she added.

Lockhart also admitted a further charge of failing to comply with a bail condition to stay out of the Borders.

He was granted bail at Jedburgh Sheriff Court on October 17, and was found at a house in Melrose Court, Hawick, on October 18.

Mr O’Mahony said police attended at the house following a complaint about noise and found Lockhart at a party there.

His reply to caution was “f*** the Queen.”

Lockhart’s solicitor said her client “lacked finances to return to Glasgow” after his release.

“He says he told police that, and was allowed to stay in a cell overnight. He then received assistance from social work to travel back to Glasgow, but chose not to, and was under the influence of alcohol when police attended.”

Lockhart also admitted failing to appear at an intermediate diet on January 6.

Sheriff Donald Corke told him: “The last time we met, I described you as defiant and untrustworthy. You seem to have plenty of money for drink.

“The circumstances of the assault are of great concern and I am deferring sentence for reports,” he concluded.