COUNCILLOR Stuart Marshall has said he is “angry and disappointed” to learn that the James Thomson Bridge will not reopen until the end of this month.
Townsfolk have grown increasingly frustrated at the length of time it has taken to fix the bridge, which has been closed since the early part of November last year after structural problems were identified.
Initially the poor weather was blamed for the lack of progress, with a reopening date set for the start of the new year. But the bridge will now remain shut until February 19 at the earliest.
Councillor Marshall said: “I am extremely angry and disappointed at the length of time things are taking to get this bridge re-opened.
“I am getting bombarded with angry members of the public, many who use this bridge because they don’t feel safe crossing the Albert Bridge due to the uneven flagstones or heavy vehicular traffic.”
The closure is a result of one of the stays on the footbridge connecting the tower to the deck becoming detached.