The Duchess’s Drive was undertaken by 14 walkers last Sunday. From the car park, the group proceeded up to the plantation on Pernasse Hill, enjoying the views of the countryside which were much enhanced because a section of the wood had been cleared. A short stop was taken to examine the stone seat erected in memory of the 7th Duke of Buccleuch.
They progressed further up the hill before leaving the traditional Duchess’s Drive and a detour back down towards Yarrow Water and through Black Andrew Wood. After a welcome lunch stop in Black Andrew Wood, they made their way to Newark Castle which was admired and discussed. The walk took the group past Slain Mens Lea where murdered prisoners of Newark Castle were buried in 1645, and then back to the cars.
Next walk is Holy Island on November 8, leaving the Common Haugh at 8.45am.