Seventeen members headed to Langholm for a walk into the Tarras Valley returning by the Malcolm Monument.
The cars were left near the Langholm Woollen Mill, and crossing the A7, past the Ashley Bank House, the walkers took to the left up Hall Path and on to the hillside on Jenny Noble’s Walk. Through the woods, the Round House was visited, the ruins of a summerhouse built by George Maxwell of Broomholme in 1833, and then onwards round Breckeny Knowe and a bird-feeding station with a hide.
Keeping on a defined road, it was then down into the Tarras Valley and along to Rashiel Bridge and Rashiel Farm where the climb to Whita Hill started. Half-a-mile up, lunch was enjoyed against a wall bathed in lovely winter sunshine. From here it was a trek up to the monument but all made it with differring degrees of rest!
The views from the top were hampered by a slight haze but still gratifying.The Malcolm Monument is 100 feet high and was built in 1835 to commemorate Sir John Malcolm, an Eskdale man who was a distinguished soldier, statesman and historian.
After a short rest and a photoshoot, it was downhill all the way back to the start by way of Whita Well, where some tasted the fresh spring water, the golf course, Whita Road, across the A7 and through Townfoot.
Next walk in the Earlston area on March 1 will be led by Margaret Bell.IC