Team Teribus complete the Three Peaks

editorial image
Share this article

Team Teribus notched up their second and most demanding extreme challenge at the weekend, when they conquered Britain’s legendary Three Peaks.

The plucky squad are going full throttle to raise money for local worthy causes by participating in the Mighty Deerstalker, The National Three Peaks Challenge, Edinburgh Half Marathon and Glencoe Marathon Gathering. And last weekend, supported by a few extra hardy Teries, the team successfully surmounted the highest mountains in England, Scotland and Wales in under 24 hours – completing the mammoth task in 22 hours, 48 minutes.

Team leader Jamie Scott, known as “Ginger”, said: “The experience was out of this world. A great achievement, but tough at the same time. We had great team spirit and great teamwork throughout. But the lack of sleep didn’t help, only managing nearly two hours the entire time.”

The challenge of a lifetime for Jamie, Cammy Rudkin, Ross Nichol, Mark Nichol, Jamie Heatherington, Aaron Mckenzie, Ryan Mcgee, and Lisa and Fiona Reid began on Friday morning when they departed from the Common Haugh bound for Wales and it’s highest peak, Snowdon. The group began their first climb at 6.50pm and, after trekking through mist, reached the summit in one hour, 15 minutes. But with the clock ticking, the group had to quickly descend – and after a total walking time of two hours and 50 minutes, were on the road to Cumbria.

Team Teribus, with the support and driving skills of Allan McGee, Davie Arnot, Jim brown and Lynsey Nichol, began their ascent of Scafell in the dark. But on reaching the top, Jamie said: “The view was just amazing – mountains popping out of the rolling mist.”

The group completed England’s highest peak in two hours, 35 minutes – before all thoughts turned to Ben Nevis, 325 miles away. Fellow Teries Kirsty Robson, Lisa Nichol and Doug Riddell joined the team to scale their final mountain, which began at 1.05pm.

Jamie admitted: “We were living off adrenalin. By the time we got to Ben Nevis we were knackered, but once we started the spirits picked up, and what a fantastic feeling reaching the top and only having the descent to finish. And after facing plummeting temperatures and a four-hour, 45 minute trek, their challenge was complete. “Tears of joy were shed”, admitted Jamie. “What an achievement by everybody”.