From the archives of the Hawick News


Friday, November 21, 1947

THE LIGHT THAT FAILED: On Wednesday night the electricity supply was turned off in parts of the town, a cut having been ordered by the Central Electricity Board owing to the load having become too heavy for the Grid. A cut of 10 per cent on the voltage had already been affected, but not proved enough.

PHENOMENAL WEATHER: Not for many a year has this part of the country experienced such severe wintry weather in November as that of this week. The cold spell started on Friday morning when six degrees were registered at Messrs Forbes' Nurseries. At the same place eight degrees were registered on Saturday morning, 11 on Sunday, 15 on Monday, 23 on Tuesday, 26 on Wednesday and nine yesterday. On Wednesday the Teviot was frozen over above the Cobble Cauld.

PRINGLE'S AT THE PALACE: At the party on Tuesday afternoon given by Their Majesties at St James' Palace for specially invited guests to view the wedding presents which were received from all over the world by Princecss Elizabeth and Lieutenant Mountbatten, Robert Pringle & Son Ltd, who received an invitation, were represented by Mr G. G. Sinclair, their London manager and Mr W. R. T. Rodger, publicity manager from their London office.

They spent two hours at the Palace viewing the presents, where they met various Court personalities and were complimented by several on the beauty and workmanship of the 'Pringle' Cashmere Sets. The gifts from 'Pringle of Scotland' were amongst those displayed on the centre table in the Grand Hall of St James' Palace.

HONOUR FOR TYPIST: Seventeen-year-old Miss Joyce Huggan, a junior typist of Robert Pringle & Son Ltd, who was selected to represent the Rangers of the County of Roxburgh in the Guard of Honour at the wedding of Princess Elizabeth, left Hawick on Wednesday morning to travel to London. The position allocated to the Company of Rangers with whom Miss Huggan travelled was within the Main Gates of Buckingham Palace. She has three years' service with the Rangers and is a member of the 2nd Hawick Company.


Friday, November 24, 1967

COMMANDO RECRUIT: Stuart Morgan (21), 64 Weensland Road, is giving up his job as a teller at Hawick Savings Bank to train as a Commando with the Royal Marines. A former pupil of Hawick High School and an employee of the Bank for the past three years, he begins his "new life" next month when he reports to Deal, Kent.

PRISON OFFICER: Mr Lindsay McColm, 8 Melgund Place, a frame worker with Peter Scott & Co., leaves Hawick on December 11 to train as a prison officer at Durham jail.

STUDENT'S SUCCESS: Mr Colin Watson, 3 Wellington Street, an employee at the Peter Scott & Co. factory, received his ATI (Associate of the Textile Institute) diploma at a ceremony in Manchester on Friday.

DEATH OF TWEED MANUFACTURER: Mr John Scoon, a former Hawick tweed manufacturer who was managing director of the old-established firm of Scoon & Hood, died at his home, Gowanlea, East Stewart Place, on Sunday, aged 75.

LEGION ON FORM: Legion deservedly beat Gala Rovers 2-1 in a Border Amateur League game at Netherdale on Saturday. The score does an injustice to the Hawick side who were much the superior team and should have won more convincingly.

Rovers went ahead in the 6th minute through Lumsden whose shot beat the outrushing Fletcher. Legion were not long in arrears, a good move down the left ending with Malcolm Boyd cutting a good ball back from the bye-line for I. Turnbull to stab the ball past Tancock.

Legion kept the upper hand in the second half and, with 10 minutes left to play, the ball was cleared up field to Malcolm Boyd and the big centre ran on to lash a glorious shot past Tancock. The Rovers never recovered and Legion were still on the offensive at the final whistle.


Friday, November 27, 1987

ACCIDENT TO BUTCHER: Ex-Cornet Donald Lunn was detained in Peel Hospital when he had stitches inserted in a finger wound accidentally sustained in his butcher's shop in Howegate on Tuesday when he was working with a carving knife.

NEW CHURCH: Following a meeting of members of St George's West Church and the former St Margaret's and Wilton South Church held in St George's West on Sunday, it was agreed to accept the Unions of the two congregations under the new name of Hawick Teviot Parish Church. The Rev. Neil Combe will continue as minister.

TV APPEARANCE: Mrs Theresa Swanson, 17 Daykins Drive, was invited to London at the weekend to take part in Noel Edmonds' BBC1 show, Whatever Next?, with her brother-in-law Robert Smith, who lives in Sussex. Mrs Swanson was treated to a night in the Kensington Palace Hotel.

The show will be broadcast on December 22 as part of a Christmas special.

PRINGLE RUMOURS DENIED: Rumours circulating in the town that Pringle of Scotland may be renamed Pringle International, with the bulk of production switched to Berwick or elsewhere, have been denied by Mr E. Mitchell, personnel director.

He said on Wednesday that there was no foundation in the suggestions and added that the company were currently investing 600,000 in new knitting machinery for Glebe Mill.

SUPPORTERS' CLUB: The first meeting of the Steven Hislop Supporters' Club was held in the Fox & Hounds, Denholm, on Friday, chaired by Hamish Smith, when over 70 members attended. The group was formed recently to provide financial assistance to Ancrum-based motorcycle ace Steven Hislop, winner of this year's Isle of Man TT. Items discussed included fund-raising events and a ceilidh.