HAWICK Royal Albert have been fined £500 by the Scottish Football Association.
And they have also been slapped with a £500 12-month suspended fine.
The Albert Park outfit, who plunged to second bottom of the East of Scotland First Division after Saturday’s defeat at Burntisland Shipyard, were hammered by the authorities following the recent home match against derby rivals Selkirk.
Royalists secretary/treasurer Dougie Purves attended the meeting along with committeeman Graeme Halfpenny and Selkirk manager Mike McKinnon.
It is understood the club have been fined for a breach in the rules in not giving the visiting team enough protection on the park.
The Albert refused to make any comment on the decision although the club stressed that the referee’s report on the game did not include any of the incidents that prompted Selkirk to lodge the complaint.
But Selkirk boss McKinnon said: “I take absolutely no pleasure in making a complaint against another team, but at the end of the day, if I walked up to someone on the street and punched them, I would be taken to court and made to pay for my actions. It should be no different in football.”
In another behind-the-scenes story, which was dealt with by the East of Scotland League Association, the Albert have been cleared of any mis- conduct having fielded the ineligible Paul Power in fixtures against Duns and Gala Fairydean last year. The games were won and drawn by the Albert respectively, although it was later discovered that Power was suspended due to a year ban imposed in amateur footballing circles.
Their protests, however, proved to be fruitless and Power is currently serving a three-year ban from all football.
On the playing side, Hawick are set to tackle Gala Fairydean in a league match at Albert Park tomorrow.
Manager Graeme Chadwick told the Hawick News this week: “Before the Christmas break we were having a decent run, but since then it’s been a nightmare. Nothing has gone right for us and it’s been very frustrating.”