Road gritter destroyed in electrical fire

A COUNCIL road gritter caught fire on Monday night causing £3,500 worth of damage.

A spokesperson for Scottish Borders Council said: “The Iveco 2006 vehicle went on fire at 6.50am on Monday at the council depot on Mansfield Road.

“The fire brigade was called and it is believed an electrical fault was to blame for the fire.”

Although damage was extensive and the chassis cab was completely destroyed in the blaze, the gritter body, which is transferable, has been salvaged and is already being used on another vehicle.

The council spokesperson added: “Thankfully no one was injured in the fire.”