PUPILS at Denholm primary began laying the foundations for their future this week when they took part in a mass dig to signal the start of work on their new school.
Children, staff and parents were all armed with shovels on Monday to mark the beginning of a new era, following last April's fire which ripped through the school.
The school's 96 pupils have been displaced to St Margaret's in temporary classrooms since the blaze – which was caused by a faulty radiator – and Denholm headteacher Jeanette Gordon is delighted that work is now starting.
She said: "Since the fire, we have been reflecting on what we lost and it has certainly been a long and challenging journey.
"We are very excited that we can finally start to look ahead and we are looking forward to seeing a new, state-of-the-art school start to take shape."
The new 4million building will have a range of environmental features including carbon-free ground-source heating and toilets which are flushed with collected rainwater.