Hawick blaze injures man and kills Staffordshire Bull Terrier
A MAN has been injured and a dog killed in an early-morning fire at a house in Hawick.
Occupants of the flat in Wellfield Road were trapped by smoke and given survival advice on the phone from fire brigade staff in Edinburgh.
A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service said that when crews arrived they found the kitchen of the second floor property well alight.
A 20-year-old man was treated at the scene by paramedics before being taken to Borders General Hospital with burns to his right hand.
A Staffordshire Bull Terrier died but a second dog managed to escape without injury.
The blaze, which was tackled by crews from Hawick and Selkirk, is believed to have been started by a heater and the flat was extensively damaged.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Hawick
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 5 C to 9 C
Wind Speed: 26 mph
Wind direction: North