Ladies rescued from kitchen fire

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS had to administer oxygen to two older ladies in Burnfoot last week following a fire in the kitchen.

The town’s two fire crews rushed to McLagan Drive last Thursday after a woman in her 50s and an 81-year old raised the alarm following oil on the cooker going on fire.

A spokesperson for Hawick Fire Station said: “When the crews arrived the ladies had managed to switch the heat off at the source and were in a neighbour’s house, but they were given oxygen at the scene as the place had been thick with black smoke.

The firefighters used breathing apparatus due to the thick smoke, but there was no blaze.”

The elder of the two ladies was taken to the Borders General Hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation.

The spokesperson added: “These two ladies were alerted to the emergency in their home by a working smoke alarm.

“Anyone wishing to arrange a free home safety visit can do so by calling 0800 169 0320.”