Cigarette may have led to house fire

0
Have your say

A discarded cigarette is believed to have caused a fire in a house last Sunday afternoon.

Firefighters were alerted to a report of a bedroom alight in Princes Street at 12.50pm, when they discovered a 59-year-old female occupant suffering from smoke inhalation and shock. The fire had been extinguished with buckets of water.

She was checked over by ambulance crews at the scene but did not require to go to hospital.

A spokeswoman for Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service told the Hawick News: “There is increased risk of a fire at home when smoking, and in many incidents where cigarettes start a fire, it is entirely preventable.

“A few simple safety measures can prevent fires from happening, and we cannot stress enough to smokers that they take extra care when smoking in the home.”

n More safety info at www.lbfire.org.uk or 0800 169 0320.